Sunday, May 29, 2011

When Babies Have Babies...

I was out watering the grass and attempting to plant some tomatoes when my "little" boy stopped by on the way down to his buddies house for an afternoon/night of partying. Along with his cooler, dog and snacking supplies, he toted the most important cargo of all...his baby son, Grant.

Has it really been a shade over 36 years since I lugged his once tiny butt to get-togethers with my own friends? After the birth of his baby when he was bemoaning the lack of personal time he now faced, I told him that some of the best times I ever had were when my friends stopped by with their own young children. We would get a six-pack of beer, plug in the Atari game (if you know what Atari is - you're out of date too) and watch our children amuse each other. As soon as he got big enough, I buckled him into the bike seat on the back of daddy's bike and he went everywhere with me.

One of the things I love the best about having a grandson is the chance to really, really appreciate all over again the sweet innocence of him. There is absolutely nothing as enjoyable as having that warm, trusting little body falling asleep in the crook of my arm after he has feasted on his bottle. It makes my heart ache with joy when he "wrestles" with Grandpa, shrieking and chirping like a tiny birdie when I get right in his soft, milky-smelling neck and growl like an elderly bear.

It has been so many years since I was able to do these things with my own "baby" that I had forgotten what it felt like to hold him. If I tried this now, there would surely be a hernia of some type in my future. All in all, it makes me look at him with a fuller sense of love because I know in my heart now, his own beautiful baby boy will make him an even better...man.

Thanks, son.

Love, Dad.

1 comment:

  1. This made me think of my own babies. And it made me think of playing Atari at your house.

    ReplyDelete