Friday, February 26, 2010

Waves on a beach...continued

Thanks to my beautiful wife, without whom this blog would not exist and also to faithful readers and others...without their encouragement, there would be no reason to write it.

The tiny blonde haired lady approached ever so slowly, carefully scrutinizing the slope of a dune on which I sat, soaking up the late afternoon sunshine.

"I don't know what you're looking for" I joked, "But I'm not getting up. Its too hard!" She laughed lightly and said I was perfectly fine where I was. Her name was "Diane", she had twenty-two grandchildren and as it turned out, was searching for treasures in the sand - far away from where most of us elderly folks explored the shoreline. I asked if I could see some of her treasure.

Digging into a little white fanny pack with her knobby fingers, she extracted three of the most exquisitely formed shells I had ever seen. Two cone shaped bluish ones that looked like versions of the Olympic torch and one rounded caramel colored shell with a dark black cat's eye in its center. They were all incredibly small and beautiful.

It wasn't until the next day that I was struck by the thought of how a chance meeting with a lady looking for seashells in unusual spots can serve as a metaphor for things we should be looking for in life. Most of us cruise down the sand sweeping its surface for miles and miles trying to discern many types of unique things upon its surface, always looking at the big picture - awaiting life's next big moment. How often do we take time to look for and appreciate the the little treasures that God gives us on a daily basis?

Eventually, Diane left me and continued her methodical search of the dunescape behind me as I sat alone with my thoughts. I vowed that I would take daily enjoyment in every moment that I have left on this incredibly wonderful planet no matter how small it is. Every day in the paper you can read about others who aren't as fortunate as most of us have been so lets all keep our eyes peeled for tiny treasures...even if you have to go around someone sitting on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment