Thursday, March 4, 2010


THE KIDS ARE COMING! THE KIDS ARE COMING!

While my wife and I are excited beyond measure that my daughter, son and daughter-in law are coming for a visit on the beach, we are also sad because we both realize our time on the balcony is coming to a close. It is the beginning and the end of what has been a truly wonderful month away from the snows of northern Michigan.

That having been said, there is nothing that can replace time spent with your children, no matter how old they (or you) are these days. Here are some thoughts in song form that I have written over the years about what each of them means to me, beginning with the moment I realized my daughter was leaving home for good.

KARI'S SONG

Up the stairway, to her room
I walk softly,
In the fading afternoon-
And as I gaze upon the walls
A tiny tear drop falls,
Because I know my little girl
Will soon be gone.

The friends she loves,
Her high school letters-
Words she's written
Dancing pictures
All blur into my eyes
I guess all good daddys' cry
When its' time for grown up sweethearts
To say goodbye...

And I know her mom and I
Can accept the loss
As time goes by,
But a parent's empty hearts'
So hard to fill.
And all the memories in this world
Can't replace my college-bound girl,
Oh you know we love you still-
Goodbye Kari.

Crowded closets, rock star posters
Plays shes' been in,
Draw me closer...
To this comfort that I feel
And I know that I must steal away
'Cause soon she might come home
And find me here,

And I know that she'd ask "Why?"
Not understand why daddys' cry
Until shes' had a sweet soft baby
Of her own,
And all the memories in this world
Can't replace my once little girl,
Oh you know we love ya still...
Goodbye Kari.

We used to let her do anything she wanted to her small bedroom and in my minds eye I can still visualize the poetry, pictures and artifacts adorning the walls. Kari has become an amazing, creative and beautiful woman these days and yes, I'll miss her all over again after our last glorious week together (for this year), on this magnificent beach.

Two days after Kari gets here, our son and daughter arrive for the final, festive piece of this vacation extravaganza. My "little" boy and his wife's song will be the next entry in this blog, probably after they have already returned to their own home in the northland. It is past time to get my butt out of this chair and soak up each remaining moment in the sun and these days spent together will undoubtedly be the best of our entire trip. But you'll find out all about that...later!





1 comment:

  1. And here comes Bill, finding ways to articulate common notions and emotions, bringing them to the surface with humor and characteristic tenderness, linking us all, one to the other.

    Thanks, Mister Bill,

    Jill Pill

    ReplyDelete